Karnataka govt fails to release guidelines; tiger safaris remain shut
Safari operations have been suspended since 7 November after a slew of human-wildlife conflicts.
Salar News
Mysuru, 19 Feb
Even though Karnataka permitted
limited safari activities from Thursday in Bandipur and Nagarahole Tiger Reserves,
none took place as the government didn’t release the guidelines.
"We are yet to
receive official communication from the State government on resuming the safari
services," a source in the Forest Department said.
Safari operations have
been suspended since 7 November after a slew of human-wildlife conflicts last
year on the forest fringes. The closure had
prompted protests from residents, including farmers and tourism workers in
areas bordering Nagarahole, who said their livelihoods had been severely
affected by the safari shutdown.
Under the new plan, the
State had permitted safari operations to run for shorter durations and with
fewer vehicles. In Bandipur, safaris were permitted to run for five hours a
day, down from the previous eight, while it was reduced to six hours at
Sunkadakatte and four hours at Nagarahole.
FARMERS PROTEST
OPENING
Meanwhile, farmers
protested in front of Aranya Bhavan, Mysuru, and at Melukamanahalli Gate at the
edge of Bandipur Tiger Reserve, urging the administration not to relaunch the
safari.
The demonstrators,
under the banner of the Karnataka Sugarcane Growers Association led by
Hallikerehundi Bhagyaraj on Thursday said that the decision to restart safaris
would adversely impact the farming community that lived near the edge of forest
lands, as they were the most affected by human-animal conflict. They accused
the government of giving into pressure from resort owners.
The protesters claimed
that human-animal conflicts had reduced since the safaris were closed.
The safaris, meant for rich tourists, endanger the lives of poor people living at the edge of the forest, they said.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




